Part time job

【Part-time job】
Here we will introduce the “Permission of Non-Academic Activities” for international students who want to work part-time.

【What is “Permission of Non-Academic Activities”?】
For international students who hold “Study Visa” is not allowed to work in Japan. But in order to cover the tuition fees and living cost, you can apply for “Permission of Non-Academic Activities” from Immigration Bureau of Japan.

【How to get “Permission of Non-Academic Activities”】
You can apply for “Permission of Non-Academic Activities” when you are at the airport. Besides, international students can also apply for it from Immigration Bureau of Japan via the school. The procedure differs accordingly. Please obey the rule. The working time restriction is below:
International students are allowed to work 28 hours per week; during some holidays, working 8 hours per day is allowed

【You are not allowed to work in the following places】
Even if you get “Permission of Non-Academic Activities”, it does not necessarily mean you are allowed to work in any place. Please check the immigration Bureau website and the regulation of your school.
Entertainment and amusement business related, jobs that affect the public morals and laws are forbidden
Jobs that on the prohibited list of “Entertainment and amusement business” referred in the related law

【Attention notice】
Working without “Permission of Non-Academic Activities” and working overtime are illegal.
Please bring Residence Card with you. Police or Officer from Immigration Bureau of Japan might require an identity check.

【General information about working as part-time and how to find a job】
1. Collect the part-time job information and choose one that is suitable for you. You can get the info from career board, career magazine, job agency, etc.
2. Call the employer, inform your name, your school, and the job you apply. Then, make an appointment for interview. Try to avoid the peak hours when you call.
3. Prepare your resume
4. Be on time for interview
5. Pay attention to your suit. Do not wear Jeans, T-shirts, etc.
6. Use the polite expression properly
7. Confirm the part-time working policy in your school
*if required, please submit your work permission application to the school
8. If being employed, please keep the written materials like your working hours record, salary, etc,
9. Do not accept jobs whose working-hours are in late night. It will affect your study negatively.

【Working as a part-time】
1. Obey the regulations of your company.
2. Do not be late or leave early. Ask for a leave in advance
*avoid asking for a leave during busy period
3. Working as a team with your colleagues
4. Inform your employer in advance before you quit. Do not quit jobs frequently
*You will get to know your environment better and make more friends if you stick to the same company
5. By working as a part-time, you will integrate yourself into Japanese society better, learn more about the Japanese social system and improve your communication skills faster


【Accommodation type】
For international students, the accommodation types are: student apartment, private apartment, home stay, and public apartment.

Student apartment Some schools provide student apartment. For details, please consult the international office. Some apartments are for international students only, some are mixed with local Japanese students, some are with dining hall, and some are with restricted visit hour.
Private apartment Many international students choose to live in a private apartment. Those houses are usually with Japanese Tatami Room. In principle, only 1 person is allowed, but with house owner consensus, you can share with other people. You need to pay rent, electricity fees, gas fees and sewage charges.
Home stay Some schools provide home stay with locals. Ask your school for more details. Home stay is not quite common though.
Public apartment Nagasaki government provides some public apartment for international students. Please consult your school for more info.

【How to find an apartment】
1. Via your international student association and international exchange programs. * It differs for different rules. Please consult your school for more info
2. Via housing agency or department of housing in some local associations

【About the rent】
1.For student apartment, please check the regulation on accommodation
2.Private apartment
A single apartment with a small kitchen and bathroom cost 20,000 – 60,000 yen per month. Rent differs based on the location (the distance to school, station, hills, etc.), house structure (wood made, or reinforced concrete), room size, facility, construction year, security etc. Make your own choice that suits you best

item fees note
Commission fees 1 month rent If introduced by the school, it might be free
deposit 1-3 months rent It differs due to different agencies. In some case, deposit might not be necessary.
Prepaid rent 1 month rent First month rent
In total 4-5 months rent

*Deposit: a prepaid that serves as a guarantee. In some case, it will be used to repair some damages.
*commission fees: pays for housing agency
*Some apartments do not require deposit, but when you move out, you will be asked to pay repair cost
*Besides rent, your monthly cost will include electricity fees, gas fees, and water fees.
*public service fees: public service fees means the cleaning fees for public facilities. Some are included in the rent.

【Electricity, gas, and water】
When renting an apartment, you need to sign a contract with electricity, water and gas company via house owner or housing agency.

You need to sign a contract for internet service. The Internet condition varies due to different apartments. Please consult your house owner or housing agency. You can also use the Internet via your mobile phone.

1. Private apartment provides facilities like lighting, refrigerator, air condition, bed, etc. However, some apartment provides no facilities at all. Please confirm that before hand.
2. If you do not have a living place, then you have to live in hotel. Please inform your school before hand.

3. If you buy a bed, kitchen supplies, electrical appliances, receiving those needs some time. Please bring some necessities before hand. Be careful, the Japanese plug interface is different from yours. In Japan, they use 100V electricity.

【Paying rent】
Pay the rent every month by bank transfer

【Guarantor when renting a house】
You need a guarantor when renting a private apartment
In Nagasaki, there are 2 scenarios
1. School or related institutes as a guarantor
2. International communication association of Nagasaki as a guarantor
If you would like enjoy the benefit from those guarantor practice, you need to join in “international Student Accommodation Support” from Japanese International Education Support Association “, or accommodation support insurance.
“International student accommodation support” serves an insurance that reduce the possible risk an international student might face when renting an apartment

For more information, please check:
日本国際教育支援協会 留学生住宅総合補償制度


【Living in Japan】
The custom in Japan is quite different from the one in your country. You might face some trouble in the beginning but don’t worry, this will be a treasury experience in your life time.
■Get along with your neighborhood
1. “Good morning”, “Good evening”, “Hello” is a good beginning to start with.
2. Don’t make trouble for other people. Avoid making noise and listening to loud music, especially during the night
3. If you make trouble for others, please apologize for that

■Get along with your roommate
Respect other people’s culture, religion, and custom. Be easy-going and polite.

■Clean the room every day.
Please clean the room every day. Especially pay attention to the oil dirt in the kitchen.
1. Open the kitchen ventilator when cooking
2. Clean the oil dirt after cooking
3. Cover the kitchen table with tinfoil to avoid oil dirt
4. Clean the bathroom and kitchen sewer regularly to avoid sewer blockage

■Do not wear shoes when entering into a room
In Japan, it’s not allowed to wear shoes when entering into a room. Please wear off the shoes before you enter into a room.

■About bicycle and motorcycle.
1. Park your bicycle and motorcycle in the parking area
2. Lock your bikes to avoid burglary
3. A driving license is needed when riding a motorcycle. Consult your school office.
4. If you receive a bicycle from others, please register this in the office.

■About smoking
Smoking is restricted, either at campus, or on the street. Smoking is only allowed at smoking area.

About trash disposal

In Japan, there are rules for trash disposal, and be sure to follow them.
It will be a big trouble to your neighbors if you do not place your garbage at the appointed location, time and day. Trash must be disposed using the designated bags which can be purchased in the supermarkets.
The garbage classifications in Nagasaki City are: burnableunburnableplastic containers and wrappings, and recyclable garbage. Please be sure to confirm the rules of trash disposal in your district. Avoid making trouble for your neighbors due to improper trash disposal. If you have any questions, please ask for more information.

Kitchen waste, waste paper, clothes, wood, bamboo, bedclothes, used oil, etc.
2. Unburnable
Ceramics, glass, metallic goods(except for pan, pot, kettle, frying pan), special processed bottles, rubber goods, small domestic electric appliances, broken fluorescent lamps, plastic goods (except for wrappings)
3. Plastic containers and wrappings
Food packs, instant noodles containers, plastic bottle, Yogurt, pudding containers, shopping bag, plastic wrap, PET bottle tops, metallic goods(pan, pot, kettle, frying pan), other metallic goods that are unburnable
4. Recyclable garbage
Empty bottles, empty cans, PET bottle (remove lids and rinse cans and bottles)

Please check the rules of garbage classification in your district for more information.Become friends with your landlord and neighbors and ask them if there is anything you need to know to avoid any trouble.

For more information on garbage classification, please check the website below
Nagasaki City
Sasebo City
Isahaya City
Togitsu City
Nagayo Town
Omura City

National Health Insurance

【National Health Insurance system】
All “Student Visa” holders who are staying in Japan for more than 3 months ought to enroll the National Health Insurance System. With this insurance, you only need to pay 30% of the cost of your medical treatment
If you don’t have an insurance, the cost of treatment could be very expensive. For an international student, enrolling the insurance is an obligation.

【Enrollment procedures】
Please submit Notification (Change) of place of residence to Nagasaki City Hall or a branch office and complete the enrollment procedure at the National Health Insurance office at Nagasaki City or the branch office. Insurance card will be mailed to you in approximately 10 days. For more information, please consult the local office.

【National Health Insurance Tax】
1.The National Health Insurance Tax is calculated based on your income level. International students are treated as zero income earners. The first year amount is 15,300 yen. (It varies in different districts). For the second year and so on, the tax is calculated based on the income level in previous year. (It varies in different district)
2.Insurance tax is paid in 10 stallment. Please pay the tax before the deadline which can be found on the tax payment bill.

【What to do if you get charged high medical fees】
If you get charged high medical fees for hospitalization or any other treatment, the National Health Insurance will pay you back some of the money. This amount is based on your income level. Most international students will be regarded as low-income earners by the insurance system. If a low-income earner pays over the NHI’s limited cost for individual co-payment, which is 35,400 yen for their medical expenses for their one-month medical treatment, he has to submit the application forms to the NHI office for reimbursement. However, if your income level exceeds certain amount and not being considered as low-income, you need to pay your own medical fees. (2013, April till now)
For more information, please check the National Health Insurance office desk

<Situations where National Health Insurance cannot be used>
1. Medical procedures outside what is covered, special private and special two person rooms, and material costs
2. Medical check-up
3. Precision medical examination
4. Dental material
5. Immunization Shots
6. Cosmetic surgery
7. Orthodontic Procedures
8. Normal pregnancy and delivery / elective abortions
9. Injury or disease during work (applicable for labor insurance)
10. Injury caused by assault, it applies under certain conditions
11. Traffic accident (claim compensation from the responsible party)
For more information, please check the National Health Insurance office desk
Gate to study Japan

National Pension

【National Pension】
In Japan, all the residents with age between 20-60 are obliged to enroll pension fund program, including international students. For students who suffer financial difficulties, they set a special fee-waiver. Bring your student card and resident card to the pension fund window for application

【Special fee-waiver program】
For undergraduates and graduates, they belong to “special fee-waiver for students” automatically. They can enjoy a deferral insurance fee policy in certain amount. Apply for this in pension fund window of city hall.

<Other application>
For non-full-time students, they don’t belong to “special fee-waiver for students”, but they can still apply for a waiver. The amount you can waive is based on your income level of previous year. For most international students, they can apply for a full sum waiver.(except for those who work as a part-timer in the previous year). Students need to apply for this fee-waiver every year.
The waiver period is from July this year to June next year.

Translate »